The Indian Premier League isn’t just about slam-bang batting; it’s also about bowlers pulling a trick or two out of their sleeves and hoodwinking the batsmen – it could be a spinner who bowls slower through the air and compels the batter into playing a false shot, or it could be a fast bowler who bowls a toe-crushing yorker to uproot the stumps. These moments of brilliance leave both the fans and the players enthralled. If you want to experience more such thrills, you can check the best IPL prediction apps on Betindia.
In this article, we will take a look at the top five wicket-takers in the history of IPL:
- Yuzvendra Chahal (MI/RCB/RR): With 187 wickets in 145 games, Chahal is the leading wicket-taker in the history of the league. The leggie made his IPL debut in 2013 playing for Mumbai Indians. He later moved to Royal Challengers Bangalore and now plays for the Rajasthan Royals.
Although he has been a successful bowler for all the three franchises he has represented, he has found the most success with RCB – was their highest wicket-taker for two consecutive seasons. He has an impressive strike rate of just 16.97. A former chess player, Chahal is adept at laying a trap for the batsmen – a virtue that has helped him pick 4 wickets in an innings six times.
- Dwayne Bravo (CSK/GL/MI): With 183 wickets in 161 games, Bravo is second on the list. The all-rounder was with Mumbai Indians for the first three seasons but became a regular face in the CSK camp ever since he was bought by them in 2011. He even performed his best for the Yellow camp – won the purple cap in 2013 as well as 2015.
This made CSK buy him back from Gujarat Titans in 2018. The ‘Champion’ bowler has a wonderful slower ball that deceives the batsmen and compels them to make an error. With a fantastic strike rate of 17.05, Bravo will go down in the history of the league as one of the greats.
- Piyush Chawla (CSK/KKR/KXIP/MI): With 179 wickets in 181 games, Piyush Chawla has plied his trade for various franchises right from the start of the league in 2008 when he was bought by KXIP. He represented them till 2014 and was always amongst their top bowlers.
Chawla has a wonderful googly that keeps the batsmen guessing at all times. With the leggie still a part of the MI squad, it’ll be interesting to see if he goes past Bravo in the 2024 season.
- Amit Mishra (DC/LSG/SRH): With 173 wickets in 163 games, Amit Mishra is one of the most successful bowlers in the league. He also has the distinction of picking a record number of hat-tricks in IPL (3). He has picked up 4 wickets in an innings four times and even has a 5-wicket haul registered against his name.
Many people write him off before the start of a season, but the veteran leggie keeps coming back and continues to prove his mettle.
- Ravichandran Ashwin (CSK/DC/KXIP/RPS/RR): With 171 wickets in 197 games, Ashwin is a thinking bowler who likes to be a step ahead of the batsmen. It was in IPL that the office was first noticed by the people at large when he was picked by CSK in the 2009 season. Ashwin has a lot of variations in his armour – a trait that has helped him maintain an economy of just 7.01 in the league.
The numbers are commendable since he sometimes even bowls at the death. With a few years still ahead of him, Ashwin sure has the potential to climb the ladder further.
These bowlers have not only helped their respective teams win games but have also won the hearts of cricket fans with their sheer magic and determination.
Top 5 Wicket Takers in IPL,Top 5 Wicket Takers,Top 5 Wicket Takers in IPL,Top 5 Wicket Takers